Friday, July 6, 2012

Deconstructing Cravings - Part 2 Cheese and Chocolate

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. -- Lucy Van Pelt from Peanuts Comic by Charles M. Schulz


As I mentioned in my previous post, it really doesn't matter what you crave as long as you understand why you crave it.  After my battle with pneumonia in October last year (I won), I continued to notice a big shift in my palette. 



Like clockwork after lunch and after dinner I craved chocolate!


During this time in my life, I was adding in a lot of fresh berries - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.  I also added in veggies like you would not believe.  I often thought, how can one possibly eat all of the recommended fruits and vegetables in one day?  I now began to realize IT IS possible.  Certain vegetables have a deep, sweet flavor like carrots, sweet potatoes, beets and squash. Eating a lot of sweet fruits and vegetables naturally satisfied my cravings for sweet foods and it reduced my cravings for sugary, processed junk food.


As I said, I was craving chocolate.  Was I eating the best, most healthy chocolate around?  If I was going to consume chocolate twice a day I had to ensure it was the best for me.  I was on a mission.  


I don't believe that all chocolate is bad for you.  In fact, some of the best chocolate in the world is cacao.  I pursued and consumed chocolate with the highest percent of cacao I could get my hands on.


Listen and Read more about the benefits of cacao by David Wolfe: http://www.thebestdayever.com/news/podcast/podcast-74-the-real-deal-on-cacao/


Once I began to understand the ingredients of the food that I was putting into my body, EVERYTHING changed.  


That brings me to my next love, cheese.  I used to indulge on a glass or two of wine accompanied by a delicious piece of cheese.  The thought of a slice of Manchego or Goat Gouda had my mouth watering.  Wine and cheese was my go to snack after a long work day.  It was a treat to myself to unwind and settle into the evening.  Once I learned more about the effects of dairy and harm it can do to our bodies, I knew it was time for another change.  Have you heard of casein?  It's the protein found in milk.  Did you know that casein accounts for 87% of the protein found in milk?  Did you also know that casein CAUSES cancer to grow?


Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein


I no longer have chocolate cravings.  My cravings for dairy have also subsided.  Must be all of that healthy goodness I have allowed.


Read my next blog - Deconstructing Cravings - Part 3 Juicing.



Sheila Petersen
Health Coach, CHC, AADP

Email: sheila@lifeelemental.com
Web: www.lifeelemental.com
Follow me on Twitter @lifeelemental 

No comments:

Post a Comment